Do you need some sunshine in your life?
There was so much potential from my previous post on the chocolate cake, to create other cakes… My mind went crazy with ideas – what flavours, which beans, what ingredients could I substitute for what? And eventually, I settled on this Vanilla, Lemon and Coconut Cake. A few adjustments and I was A for Away!
Healthy, Flourless, Sugar-Free Vanilla Lemon and Coconut Cake
Makes a 23cm one layer cake
- 1 can of unseasoned butter beans
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup Xylitol
- 6 tablespoons coconut
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Spray a 23cm cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray, or just grease it with a thin layer of butter.
- Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander. Shake off excess water.
- Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla extract and salt into blender. Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps!
- Beat butter with Xylitol until light and fluffy.
- Add remaining two eggs, beating for a minute after each addition.
- Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix.
- Finally, stir in coconut, vanilla powder, baking soda, baking powder, water and lemon zest, and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top. Grip pan firmly by the edges and rap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.
- Bake for 40 minutes and then turn temperature up to 180 degrees, bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until cooked.
- Cake is done when the top is rounded and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again onto a cooling rack.
- Let cool until cake reaches room temperature
- Ice immediately before serving
- This cake just tastes better with age – so if you let it rest under a dome or bowl, for about 8 hours it will be even more delicious!
Lemony Cream Cheese Icing
Makes enough to thickly cover one layer, or fill and ice a halved stacked layer
- 1/2 cup low fat cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoon plain yoghurt
- 1/8 cup Xylitol powdered (grind in a pestle and mortar)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toasted coconut and lemon zest to garnish
- Dissolve Xylitol in the lemon juice
- Add the cream cheese, yoghurt and vanilla and blend well until there are no lumps
- Spread over cake
- Toast some coconut in a dry pan for a few minutes, until golden, and sprinkle over cake
- Add a grating of lemon zest for a burst of sunny colour
Doesn’t that look like the perfect cake to send away the Winter blues? I say, yes! Go on, invite some sunshine into your world 🙂